Experienced chefs will increase their eyebrows after they see how this HEALTHY Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Pasta Bake is made. But don’t decide till you attempt it – it works!!! Made from scratch, now not a drop of cream, it’s a whole meal that takes 5 minutes to prep, made in ONE baking dish and it’s fully delish. 350 cal per serving!
The World’s EASIEST Chicken and Broccoli Pasta Bake!
This is remedy foods for busy people, dedicated to all these again house in Australia and everybody else round the international anguish via a blustery chilly winter!
The technique I use for this Ultra Lazy Healthy Chicken Pasta Bake indeed is unorthodox. Just plonk flour, raw pasta, raw chicken, vegetables, milk and chook broth into the baking dish, supply it a fast stir, then pop it into the oven. Pull it out partway via cooking, stir via cheese, then end baking.
And what comes out is fairly extraordinary. When you crack via that golden topping, you may be greeted with perfectly cooked pasta smothered in a creamy sauce that you’ve simply made with out a single drop of cream, with out having to make a roux on the range the regular manner béchamel and cheese sauces are made.
Not a trace of flouriness (thanks to the gluten within the pasta which also facilitates thicken the sauce) and the pasta is perfectly cooked – I blame my Japanese mom for elevating me as a general snob about overcooked rice and this snobbery extends to pasta. There is in reality sauce (hands up if you’ve suffered via dry pasta bakes!), and it’s a whole meal that’s faded on the pasta, and heavy on broccoli + lean chicken.
I’m going to be totally trustworthy with you in regards to the difference among this and the regular manner of creating creamy pasta bakes. My “go to” manner is to leap with a roux – like on this Seafood Gratin Pasta Bake, my Baked Mac and Cheese and my mother’s Chicken and Mushroom Macaroni Gratin ( <<— Childhood favourite, proper here!). The sauce is silken and there’s extra of it in contrast to this Ultra Lazy way.
If you seem very closely, you may see that the sauce is a tiny bit cut up on the backside of the baking dish. But you have to seem in reality near see it and it doesn’t style split.
Very, very small compromise for a fast meal, in my humble view. 🙂
(Here’s a near up – you’ll be able to see what I am describing within the backside left corner)
I didn’t create this Chicken and Broccoli Pasta Bake as a hack. It got here about on account of the homeless man on the native puppy park who I commonly take hot foods to. He at all times insists that I mustn’t cross out of my approach to convey him meals, and that in itself plus me being me simply feels some class of duty to guarantee I take foods to him regularly.
I had skipped a couple of days and I was status in my kitchen, flustered on the mound of grimy dishes and peeved on account of a failed video shoot and needed to make anything quickly.
Threw this Ultra Lazy Pasta Bake collectively utilizing leftover vegetables considering it “should be ok”, was blown away how nicely it in reality worked, got the thumbs up from the homeless man, had it myself for dinner then decided to share it here
MORE BIG, JUICY PASTA BAKES
Baked Ziti – the mom of all pasta bakes!
Tuna Pasta Bake – the optimum and finest use for canned tuna!
Seafood Gratin Pasta Bake
Baked Mac and Cheese – and attempt the Shrimp version!
Cheeseburger Casserole (Homemade Hamburger Helper)
300 – 400 g / 10 – 14oz chook tenderloin (raw) , breast or thigh, cut into 1.5cm / 3/5″ pieces
Salt and pepper
1 tsp dried thyme (or different herbs and/or spices of choice)
250 g / 8 oz spiral pasta, raw (See Note 1 for different shapes)
1 1/2 cups / 375 ml chook broth/stock , preferably warmed
2 cups / 500 ml milk , preferably warmed (any fats %)
1 huge garlic clove , minced
1 – 2 tbsp /15 – 30g butter (optional)
1 huge broccoli or 2 medium broccoli or cauliflower , damaged into small to medium florets (Note 2 for subs)
100 – 150 g / 1 – 1.5 cups shredded cheese , any melting sort (Note 3)
1/4 cup / 35g flour (all objective / plain)
Preheat oven to 200C/390F (standard) or 180C/350F (fan pressured / convection).
Sprinkle chook with salt (be generous), pepper and thyme, toss to coat.
Spread pasta in a baking dish. Sprinkle over flour.
Pour over milk and broth, upload garlic and butter. Stir.
Spread chook over the top, then broccoli.
Cover with foil, bake for 15 minutes (or 20 minutes if milk & broth have been cold).
Remove foil, STIR WELL. Add most of the cheese, then STIR WELL again. Top with closing cheese.
Return to oven. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes till upper is golden and sauce is thickened (See notice four for troubleshooting).
Stand for a couple of minutes then serve immediately!
1. The finest pasta to make use of for this recipe is spirals as the flour cannot get stuck wherever (for example, internal penne / ziti tubes, macaroni pasta etc. ) . To make this with penne, ziti or macaroni, vicinity the flour in a small bowl and upload a dash of the milk, then blend till dissolved and lump free. Then upload the relaxation of the milk, mix, then pour it into the baking dish. That is the purely switch required.
2. BROCCOLI: Break them into smallish florets to guarantee it chefs through. If you love your broccoli very soft, then break/cut them into small florets.
Frozen broccoli: Thaw and shake off extra water earlier than utilizing (otherwise it drops too so a lot liquid whereas baking + takes too lengthy to cook). Frozen thawed cauliflower requires the same.
See beneath for different veggies.
3. Cheddar and Colby are my usual, nevertheless it really works wonderful with any flavoured cheese that melts. I do now not use mozzarella within the bake as it does now not have as solid a flavour, but usually I use mozzarella to upper the bake. AUSTRALIA: Some manufacturers of tasty cheese has a tendency to pop out a teeny bit “grainy” when utilized in tacky sauces like this. It will work wonderful with higher brands, but I could now not use worth brands.
4. TROUBLESHOOTING: The prepare dinner time for this class of recipe is affected by the potential of your oven. Weak = undercooked pasta, raw chook and watery sauce at quit of prepare dinner time per recipe. Just go away it within the oven! If the prepare dinner time is far out for you and the upper is simply too brown, hide with foil or a tray and positioned it again within the oven.
5. ABOUT THIS METHOD OF COOKING: Read in publish for how/why I got here up with this technique of cooking. Also learn in publish for the difference among this and making a regular roux / white sauce / tacky béchamel sauce like I do for vintage Mac and Cheese. The principal difference is that the sauce isn’t fairly as silky and for the ones who seem closely, the sauce on the backside of the baking dish can seem a tiny bit cut up – nevertheless it does now not style it. It is a in reality small compromise for the sheer convenience. It tastes fully excellent and a chum of mine heavily challenged me as to why she have to ever make a creamy pasta bake any different way.
6. ALTERNATIVE VEGGIES: I in reality have also made this an even lazier manner utilizing canned tuna, diced frozen veggies and child spinach. Just upload the frozen veggies in with the pasta, then stir the tuna and spinach in with the cheese. If utilizing frozen veggies, be certain to now not use ones that leach so loads of liquid after they thaw e.g. broccoli. I used blended veggie bag of carrots, corn, peas.
7. FREEZING: It’s now not the finest to freeze on account of the manner the sauce is made so it does seem just a little cut up when reheated however the style is nonetheless great! Reheating leftovers from the fridge is wonderful though.
8. Nutrition assuming 5 servings, tenderloin, 1.5 tbsp butter and 1 cup of shredded cheese.