Biryani is a occasion of all that’s quality about Indian meals – the heady aromas, the vibrant colours, the fluffy rice and these addictive curry flavours. Make this Chicken Biryani together with your protein of possibility – or strive a vegetable biryani!
Chicken Biryani in a country black bowl with yellow saffron rice, garnished with crispy fried onions, coriander and minted yoghurt
One of essentially one of the foremost asked recipes is lastly here! Another RecipeTin Family effort, it took us seven makes an attempt to get this biryani right.
Seven makes an attempt ability seven heated arguments about who would take the leftover biryani simply due to the fact anyone within the RecipeTin family, at any level in time, often declares themselves to be on a weight-reduction plan to tackle blog-related weight achieve concerns.
And it was value it. (Belly and all.) Biryani, we can’t get sufficient of you!
Chicken Biryani on a extensive serving platter, garnished with coriander with a edge of minted yoghurt.
WHAT IS BIRYANI, AND WHY DO I LOVE IT SO MUCH?
Essentially, it’s your favorite bird curry (or vegetable or different protein of choice) buried beneath a mound of delicately spiced fluffy rice, all made in a single pot. The rice is steamed over a low warmth so it absorbs the flavours of the curry effervescent away underneath.
So in a nutshell, it’s each curry loving-carb monsters’ dream come true. It’s got my identify written throughout it!
ABOUT THIS BIRYANI
You’ll discover differences of Biryani all throughout the Indian subcontinent, from Pakistan to Bangladesh, Afghanistan to India. There are 2 most important varieties – one the position the protein and/or vegetables are cooked blended throughout the rice, and the different model identified as Hyderabad-style biryani in India the position meat and rice are layered and prepare dinner in a sealed pot over fire. The latter is the variety of biryani I’m sharing today.
There’s a amazing Afghani restaurant in my enviornment often often often called Sahar (Newport, Sydney) which serves a Biryani that’s a vast favorite amongst locals. Hands down, the finest ethnic restaurant I recognize within the higher northern beaches.
Chicken Biryani in a white Chasseur solid iron pot, recent off the stove
HOW TO MAKE BIRYANI
Chicken marinated in a spiced yoghurt is positioned in a extensive pot, then layered with fried onions (cheeky simple sub below!), recent coriander/cilantro, then par boiled flippantly spiced rice.
The crowning glory is to end it off with a drizzle of saffron infused water to present it the signature patches of shiny yellow rice, as nicely as ghee (or melted butter) for buttery richness.
The pot is then included and cooked over a low warmth for about 25 minutes throughout which time the rice absorbs the aromas and flavours of the curry underneath, while nonetheless being superbly fluffy.
Preparation steps for Biryani
That second once you lift the lid and are greeted with this sight…
Preparation of Chicken Biryani in a white Chasseur solid iron pot, recent off the stove
…. that second is in basic terms second to this: once you dig deep into the pot, guaranteeing you get a few of each layer, and the total pressure of the aroma from the curry buried deep beneath the rice hits you, and it takes each single little bit of will energy to gravitate that spoon toward a bowl rather of making an attempt to shove that whole big scoop on your mouth….
Serving Chicken Biryani from a white pot, exhibiting the bird curry and rice layers
OK wait. Did you virtually lose manipulate too?
I’m virtually done. Bear with me – simply desire to present you simply a couple of further issues earlier than handing over the recipe!
There’s delicate flavourings used for the rice, and a load further used for the curry sauce.
There’s a prolonged checklist but there’s nothing original here, you possibly can discover all these spices at daily supermarkets right the subsequent in Australia. Some recipes name for Asafoetida which is an Indian spice that requires a ride to an Indian grocer. We tried it with and without, and I swear we may no longer model a difference. So we don’t use it.
CHEEKY SUB FOR FRIED ONION
Thin slices of onion fried till candy and a little crispy, here’s used as one in all of the layers within the Biryani as nicely as a garnish for serving.
If you aren’t a fan of deep frying or are a newbie cook, my cheeky alternative is utilizing shop purchased fried onion (Asian or Indian stores) or Asian Fried Shallots (pictured below) which might be purchased at daily supermarkets. They upload the identical oniony flavour with the introduced bonus of further crunch!
THE ROOTS OF THIS RECIPE
Another recipe ticked off the Recipe Request list, one other RecipeTin household effort!!
As always, we adore to appear to the professionals to construct a beginning level for recipe inspiration. We ate biryani at our favorite specialty restaurants in Sydney, Pakistani chain Student Biryani in Auburn, and the Indian restaurant Paradise Biryani House in North Strathfield.
To read the techniques, we appeared at simply a couple of books (love the native library!), dozens of web pages and Youtube movies from residence chefs in India.
Yes the foods checklist is prolonged – but you’ll discover everything on the supermarket. And whereas there are a host of steps to make Biryani, it be in reality fairly a simple recipe. (Video is useful too!)
And even when yours doesn’t end up perfect, don’t be delay simply due to the fact even plenty no longer up to correct biryani is nonetheless delicious (we fortunately scoffed the primary few experiment batches regardless of the flaws!). – Nagi x
MORE GREAT CURRIES OF THE WORLD!
Chicken Tikka Masala
Dal (Indian lentil curry)
Thai Red Curry
Chickpea & Potato Curry
Browse the Curry Collection
ON THE SIDE
Indian Tomato Salad
Give this Everyday Cabbage Salad an Indian spin by way of way of sauteing garlic and cumin seeds in oil earlier than blending up with different Dressing ingredients
No Yeast Easy Soft Flatbread. Perfect to make use of as naan!
Chicken Biryani in a country black bowl with yellow saffron rice, garnished with crispy fried onions, coriander and minted yoghurt, capable to be eaten
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and observe alongside on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the newest updates.
Chicken Biryani in a country black bowl with yellow saffron rice, garnished with crispy fried onions, coriander and minted yoghurt
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 1 hr
Total: 1 hr 20 mins
4.97 from 90 votes
Tap or hover to scale
Recipe video above. Curried bird cooked in a pot buried beneath a mount of fragrant, fluffy rice. Biryani is a occasion of all that we adore about Indian food! Make this with different proteins or vegetables – see notes. There’s a load of spices on this – and it be value it! (Plus you will discover everything at each day supermarkets). Spiciness: mild low.
750 g / 1.5 lb bird thighs , pores and pores and dermis on, bone in, halved alongside bone (Note 1)
2/3 cup / 150 ml yoghurt , plain
1/2 cup / 125 ml water
2 tbsp vegetable oil (or different plain oil)
6 garlic cloves , minced
2 tsp finely grated recent ginger
1/8 tsp flooring turmeric
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne (adjust spiciness to taste)
1/2 tsp flooring cardamom
2 tsp garam marsala (Note 2)
2 tsp coriander
1 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp paprika , candy / typical (not smoked)
1 3/4 tsp salt
Par Boiled Rice:
2 tbsp salt
5 dried bay leaves
1 star anise
6 inexperienced cardamon pods
2 1/4 cups / 450g basmati rice (Note 3)
Crispy Onions (Note 4):
2 medium onions (yellow, brown) , halved and finely sliced
1 cup / 250 ml oil , for frying
1 tsp saffron threads (loosely packed) (Note 5)
2 tbsp warm water
1 cup coriander / cilantro , chopped
60 g / 1/4 cup ghee or unsalted butter , melted (Note 6)
Crispy onions (above)
Chopped coriander / cilantro
Yoghurt (Note 7)
Mix Marinade in a extensive pot (about 26cm / 11″ diameter). Add bird and coat well. Marinade 20 minutes to overnight.
Par Boiled Rice:
Bring 3 litres / 3 quarts water to the boil, upload salt and spices.
Add rice, deliver again as plenty simply due to the fact the boil then prepare dinner for four minutes, or till rice is simply cooked nonetheless a little agency within the middle. Rice will model salty at this stage, disappears in subsequent degree of cooking.
Drain immediately. Set aside. (Note 10 re: leaving whole spices in)
Heat oil in a extensive saucepan over medium excessive heat. Cook onion, in batches, for three to four minutes, till golden brown. Don’t burn – they change into bitter.
Remove onto paper towel lined plate. Repeat with final onion.
Place in a bowl, depart for 10 minutes+.
Place pot with bird in it onto a range over medium heat. Cover and prepare dinner for 5 minutes.
Remove lid. Cook for 5 minutes, turning bird twice.
Remove from heat.
Turn bird so pores and pores and dermis edge is down – it’s going to disguise most of the bottom of the pot.
Scatter over half the onion then half the coriander.
Top with all of the rice. Gently pat down and flatten surface.
Drizzle saffron throughout rice floor in random pattern, then drizzle over ghee.
Place lid on. Return to range over medium heat.
As quickly as you spot steam, turn down to low then prepare dinner for 25 minutes.
Remove from stove, relaxation with lid on for 10 minutes.
Aim to serve it so which you just get smart patches of yellow rice, white rice, the curry stained rice + bird (rather than all blended up). To do this, use a extensive spoon and dig deep into the pot, and attempt to scoop up as a lot as you possibly can in a single scoop.
Turn out into bowl – or onto platter. Garnish with final onion and coriander with yoghurt on the edge (see Note 7 for Minted Yoghurt)
1. Cut the bird alongside the bone, holding the bone in. So one half may have no bone, the different may have the bone.
Skin on bone in thighs is essentially one of the foremost secure to make use of (forms a safe practices barrier on base) and yields juicy chicken. Even in case you overcook, worst case is crispy bird pores and pores and dermis which protects the flesh and rice. Next finest is boneless bird thighs.
I take no duty for result if breast is used! But right the subsequent is how I would do it: use whole breast, take away bird from marinade, simmer marinade on low till it be virtually like a paste. Squidge uncooked breast again within the “paste”, then observe recipe beginning with the onion and coriander layers. This will cut back the time the breast is cooking so maintain it as juicy as possible
2. Garam Masala is an Indian spice blend and you will discover it within the spices aisle at each day supermarkets in Australia.
3. Can be substituted with jasmine or prolonged grain rice but word that the fragrance is also a little of different. Still tremendous tasty!
4. For an simple sub, use shop purchased crispy fried shallots or onions. The shallots are discovered within the Asian part of each day supermarkets and Asian shops (cheaper!). Get plenty! Use some within the biryani and plenty for garnish!
5. Saffron brings a distinctive flavour to the rice as nicely simply due to the fact the vibrant yellow colour. But it isn’t cheap! If you are finances does no longer lengthen to saffron threads, use the economical saffron powder which isn’t natural saffron. Mix 1/2 tsp powder with the water and continue with recipe.
6. Ghee is clarified butter, observe steps in my Movie Popcorn recipe to make ghee. Otherwise, you will discover it within the Indian part of a few supermarkets (Coles, Harris Farms), or Asian stores. Otherwise, simply use butter – no longer a deal killer here!
7. Plain yoghurt is fine. Here’s a fast Raita (Minted Yoghurt, pictured & in video): Mix 1 1/2 cups plain yoghurt with 1/3 cup finely chopped mint leaves with a smart pinch of salt and a contact of water to loosen consistency if needed.
8. Vegetable Biryani – Made it and cherished it! Choose any vegetables you like. Suggestions: Capsicum, carrots, cauliflower, mushrooms, potato, zucchini, peas. Chop into items that may roughly be finished on the identical time when stewed, so that you’ve got about 8 cups in total. Additionally, slice one onion.
Mix the marinade foods in a separate bowl, with the subsequent changes: 3/4 cup of yoghurt; 300ml /1 1/4 cups water ; 1 tbsp garam marsala; 1 tbsp flooring coriander; don’t contain vegetable oil within the marinade. Use all different spices per recipe.
Saute the onion in four tbsp of vegetable or coconut oil. When beginning to colour, upload vegetables (except peas, if using) and marinade. Bring to a simmer and stew the vegetables till they’re 50% cooked (softened but nonetheless firm), take away from heat. Stir within the frozen peas, if using. Continue with the final rice cooking, meeting and cooking steps as per most important recipe.
9. Other proteins: Goat, lamb, beef, rabbit. Cut so the beef is jam packed and covers the bottom of the pot. Add water to marinade so meat is largely covered, position lid on an simmer on medium low for as prolonged as required so it be lovely tender. It may take 1 hour or longer, depending on what you use. When tender, take away lid and permit the sauce cut back down to about 1 to one 1/2 cups. Then continue with recipe.
10. GENERAL COMMENTS:
* Scaling recipe (click on servings and scale) – ought to scale pot measurement up/down
* Salt – sure you in reality need 2 tbsp salt to par boil the rice. The rice will model salty at this degree however the salt comes out of the rice throughout the second degree of cooking. Trust me, you would like that a lot salt within the water!
* Spiciness is primarily from cayenne, a little from garam masala. So modify to taste.
* Fresh spices – use recent spices, no longer ones that had been sitting round on your pantry for years!
* Whole spices – the entire spices are often left within the rice. They soften when cooked so to me it isn’t an enormous deal, I’ve by way of way of no ability discovered it off-putting. If you are in reality concerned, the two elect them out simply earlier than layering within the pot or wrap the spices in a small muslin or cheesecloth.
11. Storage – Leftovers maintain nicely for three to four days within the fridge. Reheat in microwave. As rice isn’t fairly as moist with leftovers, finest to serve with yoghurt (even plain is fine). Even freezing ought to be fine, have no longer tried it but rice and curry equally freeze quality so I see no cause why this would no longer freeze well.
Make Ahead – These are the issues that may just be finished ahead: Par Boil the rice up as plenty as 24 hours forward of using. Marinate the bird and prepare dinner it per recipe as plenty simply due to the fact the level earlier than rice covers it as plenty as 2 days ahead. OR depart the marinated bird within the freezer for as plenty as 48 hours. Make saffron water and onion. Then on the day of, gather the biryani layers and prepare dinner per recipe!